Calculation of contributions
ETSI Membership contributions are calculated depending on the type of membership:
- Members and associate members in general
- Not-for-profit user associations, universities, public research bodies and Micro-Enterprises
- Governmental organizations
Members & associate members
We have the following 2 types of membership, depending on geographical area:
- Full membership for organizations established in a country within the CEPT area
- Associate membership for organizations established in a country outside the CEPT area
Members' and associate members' contributions are calculated by class. The class is derived from the member company's annual ECRT band (Electronics Communications Related Turnover). Each class corresponds to a number of units of contribution. This number determines the contribution payable. It also determines the voting weight of a member in ETSI.
The cost of the first unit of contribution is €6 000 (except for universities, public research bodies, not-for-profit user associations and Micro-Enterprises). The cost of each additional unit is €3 380.
A full or associate member can voluntarily pay a higher contribution than that indicated in the table below.
Please note that when you apply:
- between 1 December and 1 March and are approved at the first member online poll of the year, you are invoiced 100% of the annual member contribution or Observer fee
- between 1 March and 1 June and are approved at the second member online poll of the year, you are invoiced 75% of the annual member contribution or Observer fee
- between 1 June and 1 September and are approved at the third member online poll of the calendar year, you are invoiced 50% of the annual member contribution or Observer fee
- between 1 September and 1 December and are approved at the fourth member online poll of the calendar year, you are invoiced 25% of the annual member contribution or Observer fee
Annual contributions for members and associate members
|Class**||Number of units||Annual|
contribution euros *
|1||SMEs, user and trade associations, additional membership||1||6 000|
|Universities, public research bodies and not-for-profit user associations||2 000|
|ECRT Millions of euros - see more info on ECRT|
|2||Up to 135||2||9 380|
|3||136 to 200||3||12 760|
|4||201 to 450||6||22 900|
|5||451 to 700||9||33 040|
|6||701 to 1 350||13||46 560|
|7||1 351 to 2 000||18||63 460|
|8||2 001 to 3 500||24||83 740|
|9||3 501 to 5 000||30||104 020|
|10||5 001 to 8 000||37||127 680|
|11||Above 8 000||45||154 720|
*Excluding VAT. Download the table with membership contributions including the percentage depending on date of application.
**For full details of how the class is determined, see Rules of Procedure, Annex 2 in the ETSI Directives.
Not-for-profit user associations, universities and public research bodies pay a single reduced first unit of contribution of €2 000 per calendar year. Micro-Enterprises pay a reduced first unit of contribution of €3 000 per calendar year.
An ETSI member that participates in 3GPPTM contributes a minimum of 3 units of contribution, except SMEs, Micro-Enterprises, not-for-profit user and trade associations, universities, and public research bodies; these contribute a minimum of 2 units.
However, these minimum contribution levels need not apply where an organization with more than one membership of ETSI makes an overall contribution that exceeds €20k multiplied by the number of 3GPP memberships held by the administrations or companies.
Any ETSI member can participate in oneM2M with no additional contribution.
Definition of SMEs and Micro-Enterprises - see definition published by EC
|Head count||Annual turnover or Balance Sheet||Coverage of headcount/turnover/balance sheet data|
|Small and Medium-sized Enterprise (SME)||< 250||turnover ≤ €50 million or balance sheet ≤ €43 million||Autonomous * / Partner / Linked enterprises - refer to definition|
|Micro-Enterprise (ME)||< 10||turnover or balance sheet ≤ €2 million||Autonomous * / Partner / Linked enterprises - refer to definition|
* To qualify as an SME, you have to be an autonomous enterprise i.e. outsiders do not have a stake of 25 % or more of the capital or voting rights in your enterprise and/or you have a holding of less than 25 % of the capital or voting rights (whichever is the higher) in one or more other enterprises.
The class of contribution of governmental organizations, in the Member category “Administration”, is determined by the latest published or available figure of the gross domestic product (GDP) of their country. Note that the vote of a national delegation may be cast only if an ETSI full member in the category Administration, Other Governmental Body or National Standards Organization contributes to ETSI according to the GDP.
|Class of Contribution||GDP in billions of euros||Number of units|
|1||up to 7||1|
|2||8 to 23||2|
|3||24 to 40||3|
|4||41 to 55||6|
|5||56 to 70||9|
|6||71 to 135||13|
|7||136 to 200||18|
|8||201 to 350||24|
|9||351 to 500||30|
|10||501 to 800||37|
We also have Observer membership with limited access rights for organizations in any country.
For observers there is a flat rate fee of €4 000 per year.