Huge amounts of bandwidth is available in THz bands (ITU has identified 137 GHz of spectrum between 275 and 450 GHz). At such frequencies it is possible to achieve extremely high data rates and ease spectrum scarcity problems.
The small wavelength of THz signals enables the realization of compact and miniaturized devices and antennas. It is possible to integrate multiple antenna elements within a limited form factor and realize pencil-sized beams.
The specific propagation properties of THz signals enable accurate sensing and imaging capabilities and may be exploited for integrated sensing and communication functionalities.Advancements in the semiconductor industry and the emergence of new materials are facilitating the realization of THz devices. These include three main fabrication approaches:
- electronic (high output power);
- photonic (low noise);
- plasmonic (energy efficient).
Our Role & Activities
ETSI ISG THz performs pre-standards work covering the following areas:
- Definition and selection of relevant use cases for THz communications;
- Mapping of selected use cases to relevant channel measurement scenarios;
- Definition of frequency bands of interest;
- Analysis of existing work in the area of THz channel measurements and modeling
- Performing of radio channel measurements and modeling, including:
- indoor and outdoor environments, with and without mobility,
- intra/inter device measurements and models,
- sounding for integrated sensing and communication (ISAC),
- sounding including reconfigurable intelligent surfaces (RIS),
- machine learning (ML) methods to generate and analyze radio channels;
- Specification of the evaluation methodology for THz communication systems.
- Provides an opportunity for ETSI members to progress their pre-standards for research efforts on THz technology resulting from various EU/other collaborative research projects, extended with relevant global initiatives, towards paving the way for future standardization of the technology.
- Prepares systematic output on channel models, system parameters, and evaluation assumptions for the evaluation of THz communication systems.
- Encourages a continual exchange with relevant standardisation groups/bodies (either inside or outside of ETSI) to ensure they are informed and consider the work of ISG THz in their further relevant technology specifications developments.
A full list of related standards in the public domain is accessible via the ETSI THz committee page.