eHealth includes the application of ICT (information and communications technologies) across the whole range of functions that affect the health sector.
eHealth systems include tools for health authorities and professionals, from national to international, from the doctor to the hospital manager, nurses, data processing specialists, social security administrators and - of course - the patients, as well as personalized health systems for individuals and community.
Examples include health information networks, electronic health records, telemedicine services, personal wearable and portable communicable systems including those for medical implants, health portals, and many other ICT-based tools assisting disease prevention, diagnosis, treatment, health monitoring and lifestyle management (this description is based on text at the Europe's Information Society eHealth portal).
One of the major problems identified in healthcare services is the lack of ICT standards especially for interoperability related to the eHealth area. ETSI is addressing this issue.
Our Role & Activities
ETSI Project eHealth co-ordinates ETSI's activities in the Information Communication Technology (ICT).
Vital aspects to be considered by EP eHealth are:
- Security of systems and data
- Quality of services
- Interoperability and validation by testing
Our EP eHealth has primary responsibility:
- to collect and define the Health ICT related requirements from relevant stakeholders and to input the requirements to the concerned ETSI Technical Bodies
- to identify gaps, where existing ETSI standards do not fulfil the Health ICT requirements, and suggest further standardization activities to fill those gaps
- to develop Health ICT related deliverables in all areas not covered by existing system specific and horizontal Technical Bodies or other SDOs
- to ensure the co-ordination of Health ICT related activities with the relevant ETSI Technical Bodies in order to avoid duplication of effort and deliverables
- to ensure that activities within EP eHealth are co-ordinated with other European and International Standards making bodies to avoid duplication of effort and deliverables
- to co-ordinate ETSI positions on Health ICT related issues and represent ETSI externally
EP eHealth is working on a number of issues carried out in the scope of a wider collaboration between the three European Standards Organisations, CEN, CENELEC and ETSI.
A full list of related standards in the public domain is accessible via the eHEALTH committee page.