Special Committee (SC) User Group Activity Report 2021
Chair: Jean-Yves Monfort, AFUTT
Responsible for formalizing users’ views and requirements for other ETSI bodies, in order to improve standards and their relevancy.
The User Group Special Committee (SC USER) works with other ETSI committees to ensure that our standardization work reflects the needs of all users of ICT products and services, including consumers and businesses, network operators, service providers and individuals with special needs. It also liaises with external organizations such as the International Telecommunications Users Group (INTUG).
The committee has primary responsibility to:
- Produce reports on user requirements to support ETSI’s standardization work
- Interface with policy setting bodies in ETSI to transmit users' viewpoints on subjects of relevance to European Telecommunications Standardization,
- Consult with other ETSI Technical Bodies on users' needs and concerns.
During the year work progressed on three new Technical Reports:
- The Covid-19 pandemic demonstrated society’s reliance on digital platforms and services to support universal requirements for teleworking, online shopping, sharing vital information and simply keeping in touch. It also accentuated how users have become increasingly aware of the importance of quality of service (QoS) and the many factors contributing to it. A new Technical Report is intended to present results of a survey conducted in different European countries, with an analysis based on different products, services and use cases that span e-learning, e-working, entertainment and communications. It also identifies needs for standardization, regulation and innovation to answer to user needs. The report also includes user feedback, including a list of major complaints addressed by the users.
- A Technical Report proposes a ‘Smart Interface’ for the digital ecosystem, demonstrating its feasibility with a Proof of Concept.
- A Technical Report presenting a user-centric approach in the digital ecosystem, offering an analysis of user requirements for the Smart Interface and a definition of ‘digital clone’.
See the full list of USER Work Items currently in development here.