Technical Committee (TC) Satellite Earth Stations and Systems (SES) Activity Report 2021
Chair: Daniel Tesfagaber, Inmarsat
Responsible for standardization relating to satellite communication systems, services and applications including fixed, mobile, and broadcasting; satellite navigation systems and services. Covering all types of earth stations and earth station equipment, especially the radio frequency interfaces and network and/or user interfaces; and protocols implemented in earth stations and satellite systems.
The applications of satellite communications technology range from direct-to-home TV and mobile links to location services and high-speed Internet access, especially for rural and outlying regions or onboard aircraft and ships.
During 2021 our Satellite Earth Stations and Systems technical committee (TC SES) continued to develop and revise Harmonised Standards covering all aspects of satellite earth station fixed terminals or terminals on the move, whether in an aircraft, on board a ship or in a vehicle. These notably include:
- Satellite communication systems, services and applications including fixed, mobile and broadcasting
- Satellite navigation systems and services
- All types of earth stations and earth station equipment, especially the radio frequency interfaces and network and/or user interfaces
- Protocols implemented in earth stations and satellite systems.
Throughout the year we pursued compliance of our Harmonised Standards (ENs) with the Radio Equipment Directive, as part of the ongoing consultation process with the EC. The committee’s work thus saw regular interaction with the HAS consultant on several ENs to receive comments on compliance with RED requirements, and addressing them to ensure our Harmonised Standards were better positioned to pass the ENAP procedure and achieve listing in the Official Journal of the EU.
During 2021 the committee published or issued revisions to various Harmonised European Standards for access to radio spectrum, notably:
- EN 301 444 V2.2.1 – Land Mobile Earth Stations (LMES) and Maritime Mobile Earth Stations (MMES) providing voice and/or data communications, operating in the 1,5 GHz and 1,6 GHz frequency bands
- EN 302 186 V2.2.1 – Satellite mobile Aircraft Earth Stations (AESs) in 11/12/14 GHz bands
- EN 303 372-1 V1.2.1 – Satellite broadcast reception equipment; Part 1: Outdoor unit operating in the 10,7 - 12,75 GHz band, and EN 303 372-2 V1.2.1 Satellite broadcast reception equipment; Part 2: Indoor unit
- EN 303 413 V1.2.1 – Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receivers; Radio equipment operating in the 1 164 - 1 300 MHz and 1 559 - 1 610 MHz bands
- EN 303 699 V1.1.1 – Fixed earth stations communicating with non-geostationary satellite systems in the 20 GHz and 30 GHz FSS bands
- EN 303 980 V1.2.1 – Fixed and in-motion Earth Stations non-geostationary satellite systems (NEST) in 11 - 14 GHz bands
- EN 303 981 V1.2.1 – Fixed and in-motion Wide Band Earth Stations communicating with non-geostationary satellite systems (WBES) in the 11 - 14 GHz bands.
The above Harmonised Standards were submitted to the EC to be considered for citation in the OJEU.
In addition a new Work Item was launched, comparing the performance of DVB-S2x/RCS2 and 3GPP NR (New Radio) based satellite networks operating below and above 10 GHz.
During the year work meanwhile progressed on the development and revision of further Harmonised Standards.
See the full list of TC SES Work Items currently in progress here.