Technical Committee (TC) Satellite Earth Stations and Systems (SES) Activity Report 2020
Chair: Jean-Jacques Bloch, Hughes Network Systems Ltd
Responsible for standardization relating to satellite communication systems, services and applications including fixed, mobile and broadcasting; satellite navigation systems and services. Covering all types of earth stations and earth station equipment, especially the radio frequency interfaces and network and/or user interfaces; and protocols implemented in earth stations and satellite systems.
The applications of satellite communications technology range from direct-to-home TV and mobile links to location services and high-speed Internet access, especially for rural and outlying regions or onboard aircraft and ships.
During 2020 our Satellite Earth Stations and Systems technical committee (TC SES) continued its work on the development and revision of Harmonised Standards covering all aspects of satellite earth station fixed terminals or terminals on the move, whether in an aircraft, on board a ship or in a vehicle. This notably includes:
- Satellite communication systems, services and applications including fixed, mobile and broadcasting;
- Satellite navigation systems and services;
- Earth stations and earth station equipment, especially the radio frequency interfaces and network and/or user interfaces;
- Protocols implemented in earth stations and satellite systems.
Throughout the year we actively pursued compliance of our Harmonised Standards with the Radio Equipment Directive as part of the ongoing consultation process with the EC. The committee’s work thus saw regular interaction with the HAS consultant on several ENs to receive comments on compliance with RED requirements, and addressing them to ensure our Harmonised Standards were better positioned to pass the ENAP procedure and achieve listing in the Official Journal of the EU.
We published a Technical Report [TR 103 611] on seamless integration of satellite and/or HAPS (High Altitude Platform Station) systems into 5G and related architecture options. This supports necessary standardization activities in relation to relevant satellite (communication and/or navigation) technologies.
We also revised our multi-part Technical Specification [TS 103 246] for GNSS based location systems, variously considering functional requirements [TS 103 246-1], reference architecture [TS 103 246-2], performance requirements [TS 103 246-3], requirements for location data exchange protocols [TS 103 246-4] and performance test specifications [TS 103 246-5].
Look out for in 2021 – TC SES work in progress:
New Harmonised Standards on access to radio spectrum for:
- Fixed earth stations communicating with non-geostationary satellite systems in the 20 GHz and 30 GHz FSS bands [EN 303 699 subsequently cited in OJEU May 2021]
- Fixed and in-motion Wide Band Earth Stations communicating with non-geostationary satellite systems (WBES) in 11 - 14 GHz bands
- Aircraft earth stations communicating with non-geostationary satellite systems in 11 / 13 GHz bands
Revisions to Harmonised Standards on access to radio spectrum for:
- EN 303 978 Earth Stations on Mobile Platforms (ESOMP) transmitting towards satellites in geostationary orbit, operating in 27,5 - 30,0 GHz
- EN 300 487 Receive-Only Mobile Earth Stations (ROMES) providing data communications operating in 1,5 GHz band
- EN 301 426 Low data rate Land Mobile satellite Earth Stations (LMES) and Maritime Mobile satellite Earth Stations (MMES) not intended for distress & safety communications in 1,5 / 1,6 GHz bands
- EN 301 444 Land Mobile Earth Stations (LMES) and Maritime Mobile Earth Stations (MMES) providing voice and/or data communications, operating in 1,5 GHz / 1,6 GHz bands
- EN 301 473 Aircraft Earth Stations (AES) providing Aeronautical Mobile Satellite Service (AMSS)/Mobile Satellite Service (MSS) and/or the Aeronautical Mobile Satellite on Route Service (AMS(R)S)/Mobile Satellite Service (MSS) in band below 3 GHz
- EN 301 681 Land Mobile Earth Stations (LMESs) and Maritime Mobile Earth Stations (MMES) of Geostationary mobile satellite systems, including handheld earth stations, for Satellite Personal Communications Networks (S-PCN) under the Mobile Satellite Service (MSS), operating in 1,5 GHz / 1,6 GHz bands
- EN 301 427 Low data rate Mobile satellite Earth Stations (MES) except aeronautical mobile satellite earth stations, operating in 11/12/14 GHz bands
- EN 301 443 Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT); Transmit-only, transmit-and-receive, receive-only satellite earth stations operating in 4 GHz and 6 GHz bands
- EN 302 186 Satellite mobile Aircraft Earth Stations (AESs) operating in 11/12/14 GHz bands
- EN 302 340 Satellite Earth Stations on board Vessels (ESVs) operating in the 11/12/14 GHz bands allocated to the Fixed Satellite Service (FSS)
- EN 302 448 Tracking Earth Stations on Trains (ESTs) operating in 12/14 GHz bands
- EN 303 372-1 Satellite broadcast reception equipment; Part 1: outdoor unit receiving in 10,7 - 12,75 GHz band
- EN 303 372-2 Satellite broadcast reception equipment; Part 2: indoor unit
- EN 303 980 Fixed and in-motion Earth Stations communicating with non-geostationary satellite systems (NEST) in 11 - 14 GHz bands
- Revision to EN 303 413 on access to radio spectrum for Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receivers; Radio equipment operating in 1 164 - 1 300 MHz and 1 559 - 1 610 MHz bands
See the full list of current TC SES Work Items here.