Technical Committee (TC) Mobile Standards Group (MSG) Activity Report 2019
Chair: Dominique Everaere, Ericsson Limited
Responsible for the identification of European regulatory requirements for cellular systems developed by the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP™), and for developing Harmonised Standards and related ETSI standards for GSM™, International Mobile Telecommunications (IMT) systems for cellular and technologies evolving from them (including IMT Advanced but excluding Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications (DECTTM)).
Our Mobile Standards Group (TC MSG) works alongside MSG TFES – our joint Task Force with TC ERM working on the IMT system – to create regulatory standards supporting the deployment of GSM, UMTS, LTE, NB-IoT and 5G NR networks in Europe.
Primary responsibilities of the group include:
- Responding to mandates from the European Commission and other tasks in support of European regulation of related systems
- Identifying European regulatory requirements on cellular systems to be included in the Harmonised Standards
- Developing Harmonised Standards covering essential requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive (RED) and related ETSI deliverables for GSM, IMT systems and evolved technologies. This activity includes extensive liaison with other bodies including 3GPP, 3GPP2, IEEE and the WiMAX Forum
- Transposition of 3GPP Technical Specifications and Technical Reports into ETSI Deliverables.
In 2019 major progress was made in TFES on revisions to our Harmonised Standards that consider access to radio spectrum in IMT cellular networks, including support for 5G. In parallel, much of our work was related to updating standards that include features up to 3GPP Release 13.
See the full list of updates to our Harmonised Standards for access to radio spectrum published in 2019.
We published a Technical Report exploring the possibility of sharing the 6 GHz band between incumbent services and Mobile/Fixed Communication Network (MFCN) services.
We progressed revisions to the Technical Specification (TS) on eCall High Level Application Protocol (HLAP) Interoperability Testing.
During the year UTRA UE (user equipment) OTA requirements were agreed. We accordingly made progress on the UTRA Harmonized Standard (part 2), with publication anticipated in the first half of 2020.
Positive progress was also made on E-UTRA UE OTA requirements. 20 UEs were selected and tested by five certified labs. These test results will be used to define E-UTRA UE OTA requirements during 2020.
TC MSG works in support of the European Commission (EC) eSafety initiative eCall with a focus on testing. Together with other related ETSI TCs it provides technical feedback to the EC in the drafting phase standardization request to implement Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/320 related to the use of the Galileo system in the E112 mobile implementation.
Work neared completion on a TS considering Pan-European eCall end-to-end and in-band modem conformance testing.
We also continued to develop a Technical Specification addressing Next Generation eCall High Level Application Protocol (HLAP) test descriptions.
Following the evolution of NGN eCall standards, new interoperability tests are needed in order to support the industry in its deployment of next generation technology to enable eCall over LTE. In collaboration with ERTICO, during November 2019 TC MSG organized the seventh in a series of TESTFEST interoperability events for NG eCall, attracting the participation of more than 30 vendors.
Look out for in 2020 – work in progress
- Harmonised Standard (EN) on access to radio spectrum Part 24: New Radio (NR) Base Stations (BS) - up to and including 3GPP Release 15
- EN on access to radio spectrum; Part 25: New Radio (NR) User Equipment (UE)
- Revision to EN on access to radio spectrum for Mobile Communication On Board Aircraft (MCOBA) systems - to align with changes in corresponding EC regulation
- Revision to EN on access to radio spectrum - CDMA Direct Spread (UTRA FDD) User Equipment (UE) (Part 2), under requirements of RED, covering requirements up to and including 3GPP Release 13
- EN on access to radio spectrum; Part 23: Active Antenna System (AAS) Base Station (BS); Conformance testing (Update to 3GPP Release 15)
- Revision to EN on access to radio spectrum; Part 14: Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA) Base Stations (BS) (Update to 3GPP Release 15)
- Revision to EN on access to radio spectrum, covering requirements for IMT equipment; Part 1: Introduction and common requirements (Update to 3GPP Release 15)
- Revision to EN on access to radio spectrum; Part 18: E-UTRA, UTRA and GSM/EDGE Multi-Standard Radio (MSR) Base Station (BS) (3GPP Release 15 update including NR)
- Revision to EN on access to radio spectrum; Part 3: CDMA Direct Spread (UTRA FDD) Base Stations (BS)
- Technical Specification on Active Antenna System (AAS) Base Station (BS) conformance testing
- Revision to Technical Specification (TS) on eCall HLAP (High Level Application Protocols) interoperability testing - update of test descriptions from the perspective of eCall aftermarket devices and new features