Technical Committee (TC) Mobile Standards Group (MSG) Activity Report 2020
Chair: Dominique Everaere, Ericsson Limited
Responsible for identifying European regulatory requirements for cellular systems developed by the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP™), and for developing Harmonised Standards and related ETSI standards for GSM™and International Mobile Telecommunications (IMT) systems.
Our Mobile Standards Technical Committee (TC MSG) works alongside MSG TFES, our joint Task Force with TC ERM, and is responsible for identifying European regulatory requirements and creating harmonized standards to support the deployment of IMT family (GSM, UMTS, LTE, NB-IoT and 5G NR) networks in Europe.
We develop Harmonised Standards covering essential requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive (RED) and related ETSI deliverables for GSM, IMT and evolved technologies. This activity includes extensive liaison with other bodies including 3GPP, 3GPP2, IEEE and the WiMAX Forum.
Responsibilities of the committee include responding to mandates from the European Commission and other tasks in support of European regulation of related systems; and identifying European regulatory requirements on cellular systems to be included in Harmonised Standards.
With respect to the Radio Equipment Directive – and to align with different 3GPP releases, including support for 5G – in 2020 we continued to revise our multi-part Harmonised Standard on access to radio spectrum for IMT cellular networks, variously addressing base stations (BS), repeaters, user equipment (UE) and conformance testing.
During the year six parts of the standard achieved Citation in the Official Journal of the EU:
EN 301 908-1 Part 1 Update to 3GPP Release 13
EN 301 908-2 FDD UE v13.1.1
EN 301 908-3 FDD BS 13.1.1
EN 301 908-13 E-UTRA UE v13.1.1
EN 301 908-14 FDD BS v13.1.1
EN 301 908-18 FDD MSR (Multi Standard Radio) BS v13.1.1
We published a Technical Specification [TS 103 683] addressing Next Generation eCall High Level Application Protocol (HLAP) test descriptions. We also revised our TS on eCall HLAP interoperability testing, accounting for eCall aftermarket devices and new features.
A significant part of the committee’s work is in support of the European Commission’s next generation eCall initiative, where we interact with CEPT/ECC and CEN/TC 278 groups with a focus on testing. Together with ETSI’s SES and EMTEL committees, in 2020 we offered technical feedback to the EC in the drafting of a standardization request to implement Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/320 in the E112 mobile implementation.
We revised our specification [TS 103 412] considering pan-European eCall end-to-end and in-band modem conformance testing.
We also issued a new Technical Report [TR 103 803] on LTE OTA requirement derivation. Capturing the process for arriving at final agreement on LTE OTA performance requirements included in EN 301 908-13, this represented a major achievement in 2020.
LOOK OUT FOR IN 2021 – TC MSG WORK IN PROGRESS:
- Revision to Technical Specification on eCall HLAP (High Level Application Protocols) interoperability testing - update of test descriptions for eCall from the perspective of aftermarket devices and new features
- Independent evaluation report to ITU-R WP 5D regarding DECT-2020 NR component RIT of the ETSI technology proposal to IMT-2020. Evaluation is performed according to guidelines given in ITU-R Report M.2412 and timeline defined by ITU-R WP 5D
- IMT cellular networks; Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum; Part 23: Active Antenna System (AAS) Base Station (BS) – conformance testing; covers all UTRA and E-UTRA features relevant for AAS BS, up to and including 3GPP Release 15
- IMT cellular networks; Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum Part 24: New Radio (NR) BS, up to and including Release 15
- IMT cellular networks; Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum; Part 25: NR User Equipment (UE), up to and including Release 15
- Revision to Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum for Mobile Communication On Board Aircraft (MCOBA) systems to align with change in regulation
- IMT cellular networks; Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum; Part 1: introduction and common requirements relevant for IMT equipment, up to and including 3GPP Release 15
- Revision to Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum for IMT cellular networks – Part 13: Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA) User Equipment, including the new OTA requirements.
- Revision to Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum for IMT cellular networks – Part 14: E-UTRA Base Stations
- Revision to Harmonised Standard for access to radio spectrum for IMT cellular networks – Part 18: E-UTRA, UTRA and GSM/EDGE Multi-Standard Radio (MSR) Base Station, up to and including Release 15
- Technical Specification on IMT cellular network base stations: addresses additional requirements arising from EC/CEPT spectrum regulatory framework applying to specific equipment applicable to specific cases in certain countries and/or in certain geographical areas.