Technical Committee (TC) Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) Activity Report 2020
Chair: Niels Peter Skov Andersen, Anemone Technology
Developing and maintaining standards, specifications and other deliverables to support the implementation of ITS Service provision for transport networks, vehicles and transport users, including interface aspects and multiple modes of transport and interoperability between systems.
Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) enable smarter, more coordinated and efficient use of transport networks with the potential to increase safety for travellers and the public, minimize environmental impact and improve traffic management.
In ETSI our ITS Technical Committee (TC ITS) is leading the drive to develop global standards for Co-operative ITS (C-ITS), where vehicles exchange information with other road users and the surrounding infrastructure. Applications include road safety, traffic control, fleet management and location-based services, driver assistance, hazard warnings, support for emergency services – and ultimately the realization of fully autonomous driving.
Our standards relate to the overall communication architecture, management and security aspects of C-ITS. As such they provide support for a wide range of services and applications. These include Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control; Congestion Control; Cooperative Awareness, Perception and Manoeuvre Coordination; and Decentralized Environmental Notification (DEN) to alert road users. In addition we develop conformance test specifications which are crucial for the commercial deployment of the technology, and are closely involved in radio spectrum requirements for ITS.
In 2020 we continued to develop specifications to support multiple access layers such as LTE-V2X PC5 and ETSI ITS-G5. We also updated security standards to support ongoing establishment by the EC of a Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) for C-ITS deployment.
In C-ITS the exchange of position, motion and other information among road users, pedestrians and roadside infrastructure is critical to road safety and traffic efficiency applications. November saw completion of our suite of Technical Specifications related to the protection of Vulnerable Road Users (VRU) including pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and animals whose movements may be less predictable than other vehicles. Developed with contributions from stakeholders around the world, these new specifications define service interfaces and protocols including the VRU awareness message (VAM) format – a continuous signal transmitted by vulnerable users.
C-V2X is a service using mobile communication technology for direct communication as well as network communication between vehicles, from vehicle to pedestrian and from vehicle to infrastructure. Organized remotely in partnership with the 5GAA, our second C-V2X Plugtests™ event in July tested interoperability between devices to support the deployment of C-ITS in Europe. The event enabled ITS stations and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) vendors to assess interoperability of their implementations and validate understanding of ETSI’s ITS security standards.
Cooperation continued during the year with our Rail Telecommunications committee (TC RT) on Road ITS and Urban Rail applications in the 5,9 GHz frequency band, with revisions to our Technical Report on extension of the band for safety related ITS.
TC ITS also maintained interaction with bodies including IEEE, ISO, CEN/CENELEC and the EC’s CONNECT, GROW and MOVE initiatives.
See the full list of deliverables published by TC ITS during 2020.
Look out for in 2021 – TC ITS work in progress:
- Revision to TS 103 192 on ITS V2X use cases
- Revision to TR 101 607 on C-ITS to add mapping between Release 1 and Release 2 deliverables
- Revision to TR 103 099 on conformance validation framework to support LTE-V2X and align with recent versions of base specifications
- Revision to TR 103 193 on interoperability test specifications for ITS V2X use cases – architecture of ITS interoperability validation framework
- TS on Cooperative Perception Service (CPS) in support of ITS applications: includes definition of syntax and semantics of data and messages to increase awareness of the environment
- TS on Communication Congestion Control
- TS on Facilities layer function; Interference Management Zone Message (IMZM); Release 2
- TS on Diagnosis, Logging and Status Service - defining concepts and messages for maintenance and information service between ITS stations
- Revision to TS 103 191 on conformance test specifications for Facilities layer protocols and communication requirements for infrastructure services
- Revision to TS 103 300-3 on Vulnerable Road Users (VRU) awareness; Part 3: Specification of VRU awareness basic service; Release 2
- Revision to TS 102 894-2 on user and applications requirements; Part 2: applications and facilities layer common data dictionary
- Revision to TS 103 300-2 on Vulnerable Road Users (VRU) awareness; Part 2: Functional Architecture and Requirements definition; Release 2
- TR on Diagnosis, Logging and Status Service
- TR on Manoeuvre Coordination Service
- TR on platooning; pre-standardization study
- Revision to TR 102 638 on ITS use cases; BSA Release 2 revision
- Revision to TR 103 300-1 on Vulnerable Road Users (VRU) awareness; Part 1: use cases definition; Release 2
- TS on Communication Architecture for Multi-Channel Operation (MCO)
- TS on Multi-Channel Operation (MCO) for ITS
- TR on MCO study
- TR on Pre-standardization study on ITS architecture; Part 1: Architecture for communications among ITS stations with multiple access layer technologies
- Revision to TR 102 962 on framework for public mobile networks in C-ITS
- TS on ITS GeoNetworking MCO extensions
- TS on GeoNetworking; Part 4: Geographical addressing and forwarding for point-to-point and point-to-multipoint communications; Sub-part 4: media-dependent functionalities for NR-V2X PC5; Release 2
- Revision to TS 102 870 on conformance test specifications for GeoNetworking Basic Transport Protocol (BTP)
- Revision to TS 103 248 on GeoNetworking; Port Numbers for (BTP)
- Revision to TS 102 859 on conformance test specifications for transmission of IP packets over GeoNetworking
- TR on Pre-standardization study for GeoNetworking Release 2
- TS on Access Layer specification for Multi-Channel Operation (MCO) in the 5GHz frequency band
- TS on ITS Performance Analysis Framework
- TS on LTE-V2X Access layer test specification
- Revision to TS 102 916 on testing - coexistence of Cooperative ITS G5 with TTT DSRC
- Revision to TS 102 792 on Mitigation techniques to avoid interference between European CEN Dedicated Short Range Communication (CEN DSRC) equipment and Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) operating in the 5 GHz frequency range
- TR on investigation to improve radio characteristics of TTT DSRC to achieve more robust communication link against interference from other applications
- TS on Security; Misbehaviour Reporting Service (MRS); Release 2
- Revision to TS 103 525 on conformance test specifications for ITS PKI management
- Revision to TS 103 096 on conformance test specifications for ITS security
- Revision to TS 103 097 on security header and certificate formats
- Revision to TS 102 941 on security; trust and privacy management; Release 2
- Revision to TS 102 940 on security architecture and security management
- Revision to TR 102 893 on Security; Threat, Vulnerability and Risk Analysis (TVRA) to address scope of BSA in ITS Revision 2
See the full list of current TC ITS Work Items here.