Technical Committee (TC) Integrated Broadband Cable Telecommunication Networks (CABLE) Activity Report 2019
Chair: Volker Leisse, CableLabs
Responsible for standardization related to integrated broadband cable telecommunication network technologies.
Our Integrated Broadband Cable Telecommunication Networks committee (TC CABLE) continues its work on standards addressing the evolution of broadband cable network capabilities. The committee’s primary responsibilities include the production of ETSI deliverables relating to:
- Terminals, including e.g. cable CPE devices and network terminating devices
- Network infrastructure, including network topologies, HFC (hybrid fibre-coax) network distribution, data over cable systems, and frequency management
- Service, security, energy efficiency and sustainability aspects of integrated broadband cable telecommunication networks
TC CABLE cooperates with other ETSI technical bodies, contributing its expertise on cable technologies and by assessing potential impact on integrated broadband cable telecommunication networks and services.
During 2019 TC CABLE achieved a major milestone of its work on standards for broadband cable network technology with the publication of a multi-part specification [ES 203 311 series] for fourth-generation transmission systems for interactive cable television services (IP cable modem), the latest version 3.1 of the Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) – one of the core technologies for cable access networks – became an ETSI Standard (ES). The series of standards spans the DOCSIS 3.1 physical layer [ES 203 311-2]; MAC and upper layer protocols [ES 203 311-3]; cable modem operations support system interface [ES 203 311-4]; converged cable access platform operations support system interface [ES 203 311-5]; and security [ES 203 311-6] aspects.
In many of its activities TC CABLE leverages close relationships with the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE), CENELEC and ITU-T. A focus of external communication in 2019 has been the contribution of TC CABLE to the ETSI position in the Experts Group on Reconfigurable Radio Systems of the European Commission. Via the responsible TC RRS, we brought some specific aspects of cable technology relevant for the tasks of the Experts Group to its attention.
We also maintained our cooperation during the year with the wider global cable community to foster innovation and competitiveness, making technology available industry-wide based on voluntary standards.
Look out for in 2020 – TC CABLE work in progress
- Harmonised Standard (EN) (multi-part) on energy management; operational infrastructures; global KPIs
- EN on energy management; operational infrastructures; global KPIs Part 4: design assessments; Sub-part 1: general approach / Sub-part 2: ICT sites in the core network / Sub-part 3: edge facilities / Sub-part 5: Monitoring and operations support systems
- EN on energy management; operational infrastructures; global KPIs Part 2: specific requirements; Sub-part 4: cable access networks
- EN on broadband deployment and energy management; Part 6: cable access network
- Technical Specification (TS) on network performance measurement methods for broadband data services
- TS on performance characteristics of coaxial cables used for RF signal transmission in hybrid fibre-coax (HFC) telecommunication networks
- Technical Report (TR) on mapping of cable equipment and standards to support assessment of conformity with the European Commission’s Radio Equipment Directive (RED), the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive, and the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) covering safe operation of electrical equipment for consumer and professional use