Technical Committee (TC) Integrated Broadband Cable Telecommunication Networks (CABLE) Activity Report 2020
Chair: Volker Leisse, CableLabs
Responsible for standardization related to integrated broadband cable telecommunication network technologies.
ETSI’s Integrated Broadband Cable Telecommunication Networks committee (TC CABLE) develops standards that address the evolution of the capabilities of broadband cable networks. The committee cooperates with several other ETSI technical bodies, contributing its expertise on cable technologies and by assessing potential impact on integrated broadband cable telecommunication networks and services. Our work also leverages close relationships with the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE), CENELEC and the ITU-T. In parallel we work with the wider global cable community to foster innovation and competitiveness, making technology available industry-wide based on voluntary standards. The committee’s deliverables primarily relate to standards concerning:
- Terminals, including cable CPE devices and network terminating devices
- Network infrastructure, including network topologies, HFC (hybrid fibre-coax) network distribution, data over cable systems, and frequency management
- Service, security, energy efficiency and sustainability aspects of integrated broadband cable telecommunication networks.
In 2020 we made progress in developing our multi-part Harmonised Standard on global KPIs for energy management in operational infrastructures. Other work items in progress included a new specification on network performance measurement methods for broadband data services; revisions to our existing Technical Report on mapping of cable equipment and standards to support assessment of conformity with the European Commission’s Radio Equipment Directive (RED), the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive, and the Low Voltage Directive (LVD); and revision of our specification on performance characteristics of coaxial cables used for RF signal transmission in hybrid fibre-coax (HFC) telecommunication networks.
LOOK OUT FOR IN 2021 – TC CABLE WORK IN PROGRESS:
- Technical Specification on signal transmission characteristics of coaxial cables used for RF signal transmission in HFC hybrid fibre-coax (HFC) telecommunication networks
- Multi-part EN 305 200 on energy management for operational infrastructures; global KPIs Part 4: design assessments; sub-part 1: general approach / sub-part 2: ICT sites in the core network / sub-part 3: edge facilities / sub-part 5: monitoring and operations support systems
- Revision to EN 305 200-2-4 on operational KPIs for cable access networks Global KPIs; Part 2: specific requirements; sub-part 4: cable access networks
- Revision to EN 305 174-6 on broadband deployment and energy management; Part 6: cable access networks
- Technical Specification on network performance measurement methods for broadband data services
- Technical Report on mapping of cable equipment and standards to support assessment of conformity with the European Commission’s Radio Equipment Directive (RED), the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive, and the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) covering safe operation of electrical equipment for consumer and professional use