Smart Body Area Networks
Body Area Network – BAN – technology is the use of small, low power wireless devices which can be carried or embedded inside or on the body.
- health and wellness monitoring
- sports training (e.g. to measure performance)
- personalized medicine (e.g. heart monitors)
- personal safety (e.g. fall detection)
A number of wireless BAN communication technologies have been implemented, based on existing radio technologies. But, if BAN technology is to achieve its full potential, there is need for a more specific and dedicated technology, optimized for BAN. For example, solutions for monitoring people during exercise one or two hours a day, a few days a week, may not be suitable for 24/7 monitoring as part of the Internet of Things (IoT).
Such a dedicated BAN technology would need features such as:
- ultra-low power radio, with a lower complexity Medium Access Control (MAC) protocol for extended autonomy
- enhanced robustness in the presence of interference
- interoperability when communicating over heterogeneous networks in the future IoT
Our SmartBAN committee (TC SmartBAN) is developing standards for a dedicated BAN radio technology.
- the low complexity Medium Access Control (MAC) and routeing requirements for SmartBANs
- an ultra-low power Physical Layer for on-body communications between a hub and sensor nodes
- interoperability over heterogeneous networks
- a system description, including an overview and use cases
The following is a list of the 20 latest published ETSI standards on smart body area networks.
A full list of related standards in the public domain is accessible via the ETSI standards search. Via this interface you can also subscribe for alerts on updates of ETSI standards.
For work in progress see the ETSI Work Programme on the Portal.
|Standard No.||Standard title.|
|TS 103 378||Smart Body Area Networks (SmartBAN) Unified data representation formats, semantic and open data model|
|TS 103 325||Smart Body Area Network (SmartBAN); Low Complexity Medium Access Control (MAC) for SmartBAN|
|TS 103 326||Smart Body Area Network (SmartBan); Enhanced Ultra-Low Power Physical Layer|