Intellectual Property Rights in ETSI
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS (IPRs)
Intellectual property plays an important role in standardization, especially in the telecommunications and electronic communications sector. Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) are very likely to be incorporated into ETSI standards and other deliverables, and in the preparation of those documents, IPR issues may arise. This tension between IPRs (destined for private, exclusive use) and standards (intended for free, collective use) is minimized by the ETSI IPR Policy. In this context, it is important for all parties involved in the ETSI standards-making process to be aware of their responsibilities and that there is good co-operation between all parties.
As an Institute, ETSI also owns certain IPRs on behalf of its members. These IPRs include the copyright of its standards, technical specifications etc., as well as certain marks.
Finally, ETSI's position as a recognized European standardization body does not exempt it, nor its members or its activities from the application of competition law. As a consequence, it is important for ETSI and its members to strictly comply with all laws on antitrust that relate to the conduct of their activities.
IPRs IN ETSI STANDARDS
- ETSI IPR Policy (Annex 6 of the Rules of Procedure) [PDF, (November 2011)]
- ETSI Guide on IPRs [PDF, (November 2011)]
- ETSI IPR Policy FAQ
ETSI IPR database
Declaring IPRs to ETSI
- ETSI IPR Online Declaration Service
- ETSI IPR Licensing Declaration Forms - [Word]
- Detailed information on how to declare IPRs to ETSI
Ex ante disclosures of licensing terms
- Report of the ETSI IPR Review ad hoc group (November 2006)
- Report of the GA ad hoc group on ETSI's IPR operation (August 2003)
- Clause 9.1 of the ETSI IPR Policy (Annex 6 of the Rules of Procedure) related to the ownership of the copyright in ETSI Standards [PDF, (November 2011)]
- Sections 2.1.4, 2.3.5, 2.4.5 and 2.4.6 of the ETSI Guide on IPRs [PDF, (November 2008)]
- Should you wish to reproduce material (parts, figures, text, etc...) from ETSI Deliverable(s), please fill out the ETSI Copyright questionnaire and return it duly completed to the ETSI Secretariat.
- Art. 26 of the ETSI Drafting Rules related to the use of trade names in ETSI Standards [PDF, (January 2012)]
- ETSI Guidelines for Antitrust Compliance [PDF, (January 2011)]