What we do
We make world class standards
Our Mission Statement describes our primary task – to produce top-quality standards for information and communications technologies, including fixed, mobile, radio, converged, broadcast and Internet technologies. The list of these technologies is long and wide-ranging. See more information on how to get ETSI standards.
We were originally established to make standards for Europe and we still have a special role as a recognized European Standards Organization. But we are now also widely respected as a producer of standards for worldwide use and we work with numerous organizations at the global level.
We produce different types of standards to meet the different needs of business and society. These needs include:
- facilitating trade
- enabling economies and efficiencies
- achieving interoperability
- enhancing consumer protection and confidence
We share our technical expertise
We have more than a quarter of a century of experience in making high-quality standards which have been adopted all over the world, driving technological progress and economic growth.
We draw on this technical excellence to provide additional services:
- Testing and interoperability expertise and resources
- Plugtests™ events – when engineers get together to test the interoperability of their implementations
- Forapolis™ – personalized support services to standardization and partnership initiatives
- Organizing events and providing a varied programme of workshops, conferences and seminars every year
- Security algorithms and codes
We support emerging technologies
The progress of innovation requires a balance between collaboration and competition. Standards provide a foundation to achieve this balance and help enable new technologies.
We therefore maintain close links with the R&D community and academia and we support the development of new technologies through a variety of mechanisms.
Our Vision and our Long Term Strategy
We lay out our aims and aspirations as an organization in our Vision and our Long Term Strategy.